13 November 2013

The Scorpion and the Frog - Story

Original story (traditionally attributed to Aesop, who was born more than 2600 years ago) is written, and then coming back to this initial part, where the story is rewritten with a new attitude to life.

=== The Scorpion and the Frog (years later…) ===

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The scorpion carries a little green apple.

The frog asks, “How do I know you won’t sting me?”

The scorpion says, “Because if I do, I will die too, as we will sink together”

“Can you leave the apple here? The weight may be too much!” the frog says.

“Sorry, I cannot, this apple is as important as my life” replies the scorpion.

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream the scorpion puts the apple on the head of the frog.

The frog feels the weight on its head and starts sinking a little bit and, with the corner of the eye, sees the scorpion stinging the apple again and again and again.

“What are you doing?!?!” asks the frog knowing that they both risk drowning, but because the scorpion doesn’t stop at all, the frog shouts with bubbles coming out from its mouth “Stop it now, crazy freak!”

When they arrive to the other side of the river, the tired frog asks “Why?”

Replies the scorpion: “It’s my nature to sting, but my brother drowned here with a frog a while ago, and I don’t want to end up like that. I cannot stop myself stinging, but better to sting this apple than you”.

 ###

Whatever is our nature, we are all smart people who can always find a better way forward.

#ShashiKumar

No comments: